Do you remember many years when the internet was introduced to make work more efficient and effective. It would help people to get their jobs done and more in shorter amounts of time and keep work productivity on the rise. Yes, those were the good old days before the internet became populated with social media and other exciting things like games.
In all honesty I can tell you that the internet never once made me more productive. Sure I can use it to find out things and research topics with great speed, but while I am doing that I always catch myself venturing off on another topic. It is quite possible that it is just my ADHD that forces my brain into thinking about 800 different things at once, thus browsing the web for useless stuff when I shouldn’t be. But the thing is that I cannot help but think I am not alone. No, I think the internet has some kind of power of me and others that makes productivity decrease and procrastination increase. To prove it, here is my typical work day…
- 8:00AM – Arrive at work. Must find coffee, ahhh coffee. Log into computer, sign in to IM, look at work emails, and then ignore work emails.
- 8:15AM – Check Facebook to see new notifications and morning status updates…
- 8:45AM – Freak out because the daily report should have already been finished. Start daily report.
- 9:15AM – Oh, someone repinned my pin on Pinterest! Go check it out….
- 10:00AM – Try to figure out how I got stuck on Pinterest for 45 minutes and realize the daily report still is not finished.
- 10:15AM – Finished daily report! Hooray! Now I reward myself with some celeb gossip and news.
- 10:45AM – Celebrities are nuts, oh Facebook time, yes!
- 11:30AM – I wish lunch time was now, I should look at some delicious recipes for dinner tonight. Browse food blogs and recipe sites.
- 12:15PM – Yes! Lunch! I should totally get some work done while I eat this tasty meal…oh but it is hard to type and eat. I can scroll through Pinterest though!
- 1:45PM – Crap. I have nothing to show for today so far except for three awesome recipes, about fifty new pins, and I am more than current on my celebrity news stories. I will get work done.
- 2:00PM – Finally I have something done for today…one project down.
- 2:15PM – YouTube why must you have funny videos. Watch the Kevin Bacon Logitech commercial four times in a row.
- 2:30PM – Remember the work emails were never addressed.
- 2:45PM – All work emails answered, but what about my personal emails?
- 3:30PM – Personal emails answered and inbox cleaned.
- 4:30PM – What just happened to that hour and why have I only done like three productive things today?
- 5:00PM – See ya tomorrow office!
Clearly, I should have found a job that does not rely entirely on internet use…